Workshops will be held on all three days but on Saturday they will only be held in the afternoon following the AGM. In addition to the traditional workshops listed below there will be a Carousel of mini workshops in the Banqueting Hall. So do come along and experience a range of techniques in a new and exciting way! Move around the 11 tutors based in the Hall; each one will be giving a thirty minute demonstration or mini workshop with expert advice and tips. The list of tutors and descriptions will be displayed on the Hall doors. Be sure to head to your favourite first or why not try something new! Use the Booking Form to buy a ticket for the afternoon session - great value for money at just £12.
CAROUSEL 13.30 - 15.30
· Carol Alimohamadi – Rosette Needlebook Manipulate fabric into a beautiful needlebook.
· Amanda Jane Ogden – Block Printing Using visuals provided, make a block and print on the spot.
· Pat Ashton-Smith - Teasing Textures Exploring a variety of materials that can be changed by heat to produce interesting textures and combining them to create exciting tactile surfaces.
· Chris Dixon - Printing on Fabric Demonstrating a selection of printing techniques to achieve design and add texture to hand dyed fabric.
· Rose Stanley - Art Dolls See how to create a wire armature Art Doll.
· Sharon Robins - Quilt-as-you-go hexagons Discover how to quilt your hexagons on the go, by hand.
· Ann Diggory - Pieced Appliqué Create a picture by appliquéing pieces to each other with a freezer paper pattern.
· Jill Clay – Mottainai-Remake-Reuse-Relove BOROs and antique Indigos.
· Josie Dunne – New English Piecing Double sided quilting using both machine and hand stitching. Paper piecing reinvented.
· Susan Briscoe – Asanoha Sashiko Making and stitching the basic Asanoha (hemp leaf) Sashiko pattern – an introduction.
· Karen Clough - Markal Magic Learn some wonderful fabric colouring techniques using Markal oil sticks.
Friday 20 April 2018
Full Day Workshops 10.15 – 16.30
Janet Bottomley Liberated & Improv Quilting. In the morning we will be liberating traditional blocks such as stars and square in a square. In the afternoon we will make improv blocks using techniques such as slice and insert and portholes.
Jo Avery Feathers Quilt. The feather motif is a modern classic and Jo has tried to simplify the construction method by placing the block on-point and using some clever cutting techniques. The quilt is much quicker to complete than it looks! This is a technique class rather than a whole-project class but we will aim to complete six blocks during the day, making the start of a full-sized quilt, a mini quilt or a few cushions.
Margaret Boe Woven background appliqué. Create movement with a woven background and then ‘show-off’ your appliqué or ‘hide’ it in the weaving.
Lilian Hedley Design a wholecloth quilt. Design either a cot quilt or a 45” x 45” square - this can be the finished article or centre of something larger. NOW FULLY BOOKED
Saturday 21 April 2018
The AGM is held in the morning and all workshops are in the afternoon 13.00-16.30.
Sharon Robins Appliqué Hoop Art. We will mix appliqué with some simple stitches and give it a trapunto effect to make a piece of textile art.
Amanda Ogden Surprised by Colour. ‘A thimbleful of red is redder than a bucketful’ (Matisse): a design-based workshop for you to play with colour and to extend and enrich your own colour choices. Hand stitching.
Jill Clay Japanese Oshie. Using hand painted silk we use traditional Japanese padding materials. NOW FULLY BOOKED
Carol Alimohamadi Colour and Cut. We will use various cutting techniques to create a colourful panel, which could be made into a cushion, bag or wall hanging. Packs will be available at a cost of £3.50.
Sunday 22 April 2018
Full Day Workshops 10.00 -16.00
Mandy Pattullo Garden Bird Portrait. You will work on a piece of vintage quilt provided by artist Mandy Pattullo to build up a textile collage of a Garden Bird using tiny scraps of fabric and embellishing with embroidery. NOW FULLY BOOKED
Susan Briscoe Adventures in Asanoha Sashiko How to mark and stitch several variations on the traditional Asanoha (hemp leaf) Sashiko design. We will work on small panels, which can be made into a sampler or other item at home. Learning how to mark variations on this intricate pattern frees you from using pre-printed panels and you will discover how to resize the designs for future projects. NOW FULLY BOOKED
Pat Ashton Smith Landscape Art Quilt Create a small quilted wall hanging, approximately 14” x 10”, inspired by the Northumbrian landscape using a machine appliqué technique that gives the appearance of complex piecing.
Ann Diggory Foundation Pieced Star Learn the basics of foundation piecing to produce geometric shapes accurately or, for the more experienced, follow my system of steps to be able to cut shapes from large pieces of fabric which will fit directly. We will start with a relatively simple star pattern and only move on to more complex stars when you are ready. A kit containing all the pre printed foundations for three stars will be available £3.
Josie Dunne Fine Folded Fan Quilt Produce a quilt top with a classical look, using fine fabric with a greater emphasis on cutting and folding.
Morning Half-day Workshop 09.15 -12.15
Gillian Arkley Contemporary Boro After
referencing the 'make do and mend' of traditional Japanese Boro we will be
using colourful fragments of silk kimono to patch a collage using a darning
stitch. Materials £5. NOW FULLY BOOKED